How To Tell If Your Modem/Router Has Been Hit By LightningKudzai
Turning it off is not good enough.
A nearby lightning strike can send a power surge through various materials: electrical wiring, copper phone lines, coax cable, plumbing pipes. In fact, all of these things actually “attract” the lightning!
So your modem/router is at a very big risk when this happens.
Your modem/router and computer are very sensitive pieces of kit, even blackouts (in other words, power outages or electrical power surges) can zap them and other sensitive equipment when the power kicks in again.
How can I tell if my modem/router has been zapped?
It’s not always obvious as all it takes is for one tiny component inside to be fried. This is what to look out for…
- Your internet connection will have dropped
- The modem/router lights are going crazy even after a power cycle (or restart)
- You can’t login to the modem/router to check the configuration
- Smell a burnt plastic odour originating from your equipment
- In many cases you may see the power outlet, plug, or the modem/router cables or main housing scorched
So how do you avoid this?
The answer is quite simple. If there is any lightning whatsoever, unplug your modem / router immediately!